Monday, February 1, 2010

Well there's good news and there's bad news...

The good news is I have a new computer.  The bad news is the old one crashed and burned taking my emails, contacts, itunes music and some photoshop data with it.  Oh and I guess you could add the cost of the new computer plus a minor flesh wound on my right hand to the list of bad news. 

Without further ado I would like to introduce Eleanor.

Yes that's right folks her name is Eleanor.  As in Eleanor the Mustang Shelby GT 500E that Nicholas Cage's character Memphis Raines longed for in Gone In 60 Seconds. 


I'm sure you can see the resemblence right?  She is black and silver and lightning fast, just like Eleanor.


Plus look at her sleek exterior.  I certainly could not ask for a finer specimen.  She's a beauty that's for sure. 


Just for comparisons here is her namesake.  Gorgeous right!!

Let's talk just briefly about the bad news, but I won't dwell on it though.  I still have no email access plus all my old emails and contacts are gone.  I lost all my itunes music and some important photoshop data.  Is there a chance of getting them back you ask?  I have no idea.  I am by far one of the most computer illiterate people out there.  I can run photoshop with my eyes closed but don't ask me to do anything with the rest of the computer.  For that we have the good folks at PC Laptops (http://www.pclaptops.com/) at 745 S. State Street in SLC.  To say they hooked us up would be the understatement of the century.  We brought Betty (the old computer) in Thursday evening for them to have a look.  Shortly after returning home we got a call with the news of impending doom.  The internal fan inside the CPU seized and literally fried the motherboard.  Of course I needed a translation to understand the diagnosis.  Basically we were probably only days maybe even hours from a fire obviously completely destroying Betty and possibly our home and family as well.  I suppose the bright side is that we caught it before the utter destruction.  The bad news was that I needed a new computer STAT!

Of course the cost of a new computer caused my heart to stop for a brief moment while I processed the news.  After sleeping on it Rob called Ryan at PC Laptops back and relayed the news that it was just too much, we couldn't do it.  Ryan and Jason had our backs though.  They were able to give us last years model and supe it up for our needs at a SUBSTANTIALLY lower price.  I was able to commense breathing at this point and started crossing my fingers that they would be able to recover any of my data from Betty.  The story gets even better at this point.

I have several outstanding photo sessions to work on and be completed right away so I needed Eleanor to be ready ASAP.  Ryan, Jason and Eric at PC Laptops stayed almost 2 hours passed closing on Saturday night to get us ready and out the door.  Plus they didn't kick us out when my kids acted like monkeys in the store.  Let's just say that I still know nothing about computers except that PC Laptops rocks!  They have earned our business FOR LIFE.  That says a lot for someone who works in a industry dominated by little white machines with a emblem of a fruit on the back.  Ryan, Jason and Eric Thank You, you guys are amazing!

Oh I guess I should elaborate on the minor flesh wound on my right hand.

See it's really not that bad right? :)  Friday night I was getting ready for some weekend crafting with my kids.  A forced diversion thanks to Betty's demise.  While kneeling on the floor near my "office" the top of my right hand rolled over the metal strip seperating the carpet from the vinyl.  Basically I filleted my middle knuckle right off. 

I won't show photos of the actual wound as it's a bit gory for a photography blog.  Anyway it took quite a while to stop the bleeding and get it wrapped up.  One of Rob's flight students is an Orthopedic Surgeon whom we affectionately call Dr. Dan.  He came by Saturday after their flight lesson and looked at it.  He brought me some special Coban tape and told me to keep pressure on it and not get it wet for 3 or 4 days.  I was of course embarassed by my accident prone antics.  He laughed and said not to worry, I wasn't the worse case he'd seen. 

I was feeling much better this morning but there was still more bad news.  In order to keep the wound dry I wouldn't be able to go for my sanity swim at the gym this morning.  Boo hoo you say right.  Well I'll let you in on a little secret.  That weekly swim of mine keeps my head on straight.  All that back and forth, back and forth forces me to forget about my crazy life and just keep swimming, just keep swimming.  So to say that I was a bit sad this morning is putting it mildly.  I suppose I can say that I'm over it and I seem to be functioning ok so far.  Unless of course it's my alter ego doing all this blogging.   Well now that I have bored you all to tears with the sad story of my life I guess it's time to get back to work. 

To those of you waiting for your proofs-I promise their coming.  I'm just a little gimped up at the moment so bear with me.  :)

Hopefully the next post will be short and sweet with just a few lovely photos.
Over and Out,
Angela


3 comments:

  1. You need to become a Mac convert! We bought ours two years ago and absolutely no regrets. No crashing, no blue screen of death, nothing! We LOVE everything about it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry- when it rains it pours doesn't it!
    I wish I had more comforting words, but all I can say is it will get better(I know hard to believe at this point). I was there every day some other piece seemed to HIT the fan- and it is amazing how the poop would spread!
    You are always in my thoughts and in my prayers- and if nothing else I can be a shoulder to cry on.

    Always!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that IS a sad blog! I'm happy to hear that PC Laptops was so nice to you and so willing to help you out. I love it when people let their good side out and do nice things for others!

    I hope your hand is healing! :)

    ReplyDelete