Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Sneak Peak for Danae & random musical thoughts


Everyone let's say hello to Isaac. He is my nephew and man is he full of personality. Obviously he gets along well with my little family. This is one of my favorite photos from his 3rd birthday shoot a couple Saturdays ago. I work with kids all the time and it's these shots I get when they don't know I'm there that just melt my heart.

Danae, there are tons more cute shots. I will have everything done and online as soon as I can.

Let's take a little detour for a minute shall we? For those of you that know me, you know that I have really eclectic music taste. I am always listening to something different. To say that I am moved by music would be an understatement. I am often touched by lyrics and find myself thinking about a part of a certain song over and over. Recently I have been listening to Bon Jovi's newest release We Weren't Born To Follow. No surprise huh?! This particular song struck a chord with me and I can't stop thinking about it's message. Just the title alone makes you stop and think. As human beings and American citizens I personally feel that we are responsible, if not required to stand up for what we believe. Think back to our founding fathers. If they didn't feel moved to stand up for their desire for religious freedom we wouldn't be living in this great country. I am not even talking specifically about religion right now. That is a professional blogging no no after all. What I am talking about is standing up for what we believe is right for us and our families individually. Do we want our children to grow up thinking we just sat back and watched life happen without ever getting involved or taking a stand? Do we want them to learn that it is OK to judge someone based on their ethnic background or religious beliefs or even lack there of? What about economic or social status?

In the Bon Jovi song it states that:
"We weren't born to follow
Come on and get up off your knees
When life is a bitter pill to swallow
You gotta hold on to what you believe"

Each one of us has a different set of beliefs and that is OK! What I am saying is that we need to be prepared to stand up and say that something is not OK with us. I won't get into too many details but recently I was faced with a situation where I had make a choice. Do I follow the crowd or make a stink and say no, that's not what I believe is right? The situation involved my children and when push came to shove I took a stand. Do I regret my decision? Not at all. What I regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

To quote a different song Stand by Rascal Flatts;
"Cause when push comes to shove
You taste what you're made of
You might bend til you break
Cause it's all you can take
On your knees you look up
Decide you've had enough
You get mad, you get strong
Wipe your hands shake it off
Then you stand"

At the end of the day I want my children to know that we all make mistakes. It is part of being human. What separates us from the crowd is our decision to do what is right for us. Not for everyone else, for us. I want them to be proud that as their mother I went to bat for them and stood up for what we as their parents feel is right. Period end of story.

Bon Jovi says: "How will you raise your hand when they call your name?" That is our challenge. To be true to ourselves and our families. To stand up for what we personally believe is right. Not necessarily what is mainstream, what is right. It is different for you and and different for me and that is all right. We have a responsibility as parents and American citizens to take a stand. Let's follow the examples of the great men who paved the way to the freedoms we enjoy everyday. Do it-I dare you!

signing out,
Angela

3 comments:

  1. So, I love that picture of my sweet, rebellious and defiant little boy!! It makes him look so sweet... which he can be... but he's also very fiesty, just like you said. :)

    I also really liked your message about standing up for what we believe in. We should fight for what is ours and for those things that we believe in, even if it is not the same choice someone else would make.

    Thanks!! Can't wait to see the rest!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN Sister! I just wish more people felt as passionatly about it as you do. I tell you home schooling my daughter has brought alot to my attention- good and bad from people who should not even have an opinion!

    We are so alike in this area- but I think you already know that seeing as how we are cut from the SAME fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well thank you ladies! I think more and more everyday about my responsibility as a mother to teach my children about life and more important about living. They need to know that when something is not OK that I will stand up and say so. Thank you for understanding my rant!

    xoxoxo
    Ang

    ReplyDelete